Word of Today

Home » Word of Today

Word of Today: Foil

Foil Stamping Foil, or foil stamping is a decorative printing process yielding a metallic glint. Most notably, foils are used to create unique, elegant designs that work on an instinctual level for our preferences. This process is done by applying heat and pressure to a metallic or pigmented foil on to a solid surface. The foil is left permanently adhered to the surface leaving the design of the die (carved metal plates). Since there are no liquid inks involved, this is a dry ... Read more

Word of Today: NCR

NCR Forms and Paper - No Carbon Required The term NCR typically refers to a type of multi-page form or paper and stands for No Carbon Required. NCF forms are created from NCR paper for the purpose of creating quick and inexpensive multiple copies of the same form with or without the use of a printer. The pages of an NCR form are referred to as a parts and standard NCR forms are offered in sets of 2 to 6 parts, whereby each ... Read more

Term of Today: Back to Back

The printing term "Back to Back" indicates that the paper is printing on both sides, the front and back. This term is interchangeable with "double-sided" printing and can also be written in shorthand for CMYK printing that has all 4 color inks on both sides as 4/4. Additionally, a document that has full color on one side and a single color on the other side can be written as 4/1. Read more

Word of Today: Digital Proof

A digital proof is typically supplied in a PDF format. It is created from the supplied artwork for printing and the adjusted for color separations to check to see if there will be any errors or irregularities when printed. This is not the same as a hard proof. Or physical printout to check colors and final positioning. At Magagna & Company digital proofs are always free! Beware of any printing companies that do not supply PDF proofs. Read more

Word of Today: Demy

A demy is a print industry term used to describe a standard sized piece of paper measuring 17.5 x 22.5 inches. Read more

Word of Today: Bleed

Printing Bleed or Bleed: Extra ink area that crosses the trim line. It is necessary for the production of printed materials that have artwork or text that extend beyond (or bleed off of) the edge of the final piece. The smallest "bleed" that we recommend when preparing your artwork for print is 1/8 inch or .1275. For help setting up proper bleeds in Adobe Illustrator click here. Read more

Accordion Fold

An Accordion Fold is a type of paper folding in which each fold runs in the opposite direction to the previous fold creating a pleated or accordion affect. In printing an Accordion Fold is most commonly seen in brochures as an alternative to the standard "Tri-Fold." Read more