Print Academy

Home » Print Academy

What Are Envelopes: Intro Lesson 101

Invitations, greeting cards, invoices, and advertisements are just a few of the many pieces of mail that one receives daily and many of these always arrive inside of an ENVELOPE. What most people don’t know is how many different shapes, sizes, and styles of envelopes there really are. Here are some quick tips when thinking about envelopes. Envelopes are a First Impression The envelope is a very important mailing tool, as it’s the first piece the end user sees. The most important goal ... Read more

5 Things to Remember When Preparing Your Art for Print

It’s more common than not for art production departments to suffer from a serious case of the “hurry-up-and-wait.” Deadlines are missed, last minute changes are made, and content rapidly changes. While rushing to meet a last minute deadline, it can be easy to breeze past the fundamentals of artwork preparation. To combat the chaos and prevent further delays from art production errors, I created the mnemonic “Five Basic Rules to Check” before printing. Files, Bleeds, Resolution, Type, and Color Below are the “Five Basic ... Read more

Term of Today: Back to Back

The printing term "Back to Back" indicates that the paper is printing on both sides, the front and back. This term is interchangeable with "double-sided" printing and can also be written in shorthand for CMYK printing that has all 4 color inks on both sides as 4/4. Additionally, a document that has full color on one side and a single color on the other side can be written as 4/1. Read more

Word of Today: Digital Proof

A digital proof is typically supplied in a PDF format. It is created from the supplied artwork for printing and the adjusted for color separations to check to see if there will be any errors or irregularities when printed. This is not the same as a hard proof. Or physical printout to check colors and final positioning. At Magagna & Company digital proofs are always free! Beware of any printing companies that do not supply PDF proofs. Read more

Word of Today: Demy

A demy is a print industry term used to describe a standard sized piece of paper measuring 17.5 x 22.5 inches. Read more

Word of Today: Bleed

Printing Bleed or Bleed: Extra ink area that crosses the trim line. It is necessary for the production of printed materials that have artwork or text that extend beyond (or bleed off of) the edge of the final piece. The smallest "bleed" that we recommend when preparing your artwork for print is 1/8 inch or .1275. For help setting up proper bleeds in Adobe Illustrator click here. Read more

Accordion Fold

An Accordion Fold is a type of paper folding in which each fold runs in the opposite direction to the previous fold creating a pleated or accordion affect. In printing an Accordion Fold is most commonly seen in brochures as an alternative to the standard "Tri-Fold." Read more

Coated Paper vs Uncoated Paper

There are limitless choices of paper or "stock" as we like to call it but it all boils down into to main categories. Coated Paper and Uncoated Paper. Coated Paper Coating is a process by which paper is coated using blades or rollers to apply the coating agent for improved brightness or printing properties.  This process of "sealing" the the paper allows the coating to fill in the tiny crevices between the fibers of the paper to give it a smooth, flat surface. Depending on the ... Read more

What is Digital Printing?

Digital Printing: Digital printing is the cheapest way to go for smaller print runs. It uses a process more similar to a home or office printer that creates the image directly on the paper instead of transferring ink to plates. It is also the only way to print items that require variable data such as a unique code, name, or address.Digital prints CMYK, Black and White or CMYK blends of spot colors. According to Wikipedia, digital printing is defined as: ...methods of printing from a digital-based image ... Read more

What Is Offset Printing?

Web offset printing or just simply "offset printing" is a commonly used printing technique in which the  inked image is transferred (or "offset") from a plate to a rubber blanket, and then to the printing surface (usually paper). The modern "web" process uses a large roll / reel of paper that feeds through a large printing press which continually prints as the paper is fed through. When using individual sheets of paper this process is called sheet fed offset printing. The Steps in the Offset Printing Process The ... Read more